Devon Cafe Review

It's no secret that Surry Hills and Newtown are your go to joints if you're in dire need of great food and superb coffee and if you classify yourself as bit of a 'hipster' then count yourself in. Away from the hustle and bustle of Central Station, on Devonshire street lies Devon cafe, a quick walk from the station especially if you use the Devonshire street exit which is a no brainer for those who want to minimise the time spent walking, that said if you're terrible at navigating Central exits other than the more popular ones, Elizabeth St exit is fairly straight forward.

Sometimes simplistic table decorations are the best, of course salt and pepper are a must but some flowers on the side brighten up any environment.

I think it's amazing that Devon cafe is open 7 days though on Sundays (and by extension most likely Saturdays as well) they only serve the breakfast menu. You'll find that their menu is under construction so there is no exact way of determining their menu until you step foot inside. Drinks are a staple but they tend to have a core ingredient that is used throughout their menu. When I went it was salmon, not that I'm complaining.

Breakfast with Sakuma's- miso grilled king salmon, smoke eel croquette, 63' (degree) egg, radish petit salad & kewpi mayonnaise $24.50

When the food arrived my first thought was W O W with my eyes instantly admiring the 63 degree egg for those not familiar with the term, Jill Dupleix (writing for GoodFood) sums it up pretty well: "It's an egg cooked slowly at a very precise temperature (from 60C to 65C) to achieve a high-impact result: a shimmering, silky orb of creamy egg white surrounding a rich, softly liquid egg yolk. Forget your three-minute egg; this can take anything up to 2 hours." If you want the recipe plus more information click here.

First bite was of the salmon; it was so smooth, retaining all those fatty oils that I love, the croquette was had a risotto rice filling which was unexpected but nice for my first time trying a rice based croquette. There was lots of crunch in it and when it when it cam time to trying the egg, I first had a lot of difficulty in think of how to eat it because it's so delicate and as soon as you start on it all the yolk will ooze out. That's where I thought the rice filling for the croquette was quite smart which the rice can absorb the yolk so that it isn't wasted- I tend to be quite stingy when it comes to egg yolk because I regard it as like golden liquid so I just can't bear it going to waste. Kewpi mayo is a Japanese brand which really went well with the salmon, considering how salmon is fully of those fatty oils the mayo really helped it go down without making you sick of the salmon because it is after the main element of the dish and in keeping with the Japanese influences in this dish some seasoning was sprinkled over the salmon and egg- the taste of which reminds me of the ones that I used to use when making onigiri. 

Citrus Cured Salmon- split dill cream, apple, celery, cucumber, fennel, soft boiled egg, brioche $18.50

Customary Aerial Shot

Devon Cafe on Urbanspoon


0 comments :

Post a Comment

 

Instagram Updates

Meet The Author

Welcome to my blog and enjoy exploring my posts about food and fashion. And if you really must know more about me then you'll find an 'About me' tab at the top or if you're too lazy to do that then just click here


Lots of love

X

Shirley